80's Music

Friday, May 18, 2012

Sometimes a Marathon is Actually 30.2 miles!! Pasta, Pasta, Pasta..... Spaghetti Carbonara



Spaghetti alla Carbonara 


Heirloom Tomato



Casarecce with Wild Salmon, Roasted Asparagus & Heirlooms



The other day I was asked to give some recipes that would benefit athletes.  My thought at first was of course, all of my food is for athletes and in fact everyone else for that matter but I put it in my mind to add to the rotation.  If any food eaten in moderation is good for you then the opposite has to be true.  The most important thing to do is to limit your over indulgences, live an active life and exercise regularly.

I have run 2 marathons and at least 5 half marathons in the last 6 years and I can tell you there is no better felling than traveling to a city on a Friday, going through the weekend expos, seeing your fellow participants, finding all of the marathon weekend deals, the support from the hosting city, finding the best place for pasta to carb load for the race on Saturday night and finally crossing the finish line once you are done running your 26.2 miles.

My first marathon was the San Jose Marathon which is a flat course, I had plenty of supporters but 26.2 miles is a long run no matter how flat the course.  When I started out I was running with two complete strangers but we talked from mile 1 to mile 19, just getting to know each other.  I shared with them that it as my first marathon and they said they were impressed with my pace and encouraged me the entire way.  At mile 19 I was fading fast and I told them to go ahead without me (yes it was in the classic, "Save yourself!", fashion in the fading super hero voice), so they begrudgingly left to finish the race. I remember getting to mile 23 and having this overwhelming feeling that there was no way that I could finish that last 3.2 miles.  I was "dead in the water" and so discouraged.  I then walked from mile 23 to mile 24 and started a run/walk combo and still I felt like stopping, after all what the hell did I have to prove? Then out of the blue here come the two strangers that I had met hours before, running back to two miles after finishing their marathon to help me finish my first marathon.  Unlike other sporting events that I have participated in marathon runners are the most compassionate people you will meet during the race. Sometimes, I suppose a marathon is actually 30.2 miles.

One of my favorites of the marathon weekend in any city is asking the locals about the best place for pasta the night before.  Ask any runner and they will tell you to load up on pasta the day before so that it can get you through the grueling 26.2 miles on Sunday.  I have two of my favorite pasta dishes to present today.


On the menu this weekend is :

Spaghetti alla Carbonara

Casarecce with Wild Salmon, Heirloom Tomatoes & Roasted Asparagus


------------------------------------------------------------------------


Spaghetti alla Carbonara


Spaghetti alla Carbonara is my favorite pasta dish. Done right its rich and luscious without being heavy and it presents well, if you have foodies for dinner or are a foodie yourself.  This is a dish that is simple in preparation, incredible to eat and quite fulfilling.



For the Spaghetti alla Carbonara we will need the following:


  • Spaghetti (1 #)
  • Guanciale (10 oz)
  • Fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano . Cheese (1.5 cup)
  • Fresh Eggs (4 separated)
  • Pepper (tt)
  • Salt (tt)


Cook the pasta in accordance with the directions on the box, drain the pasta and reserve 1/4 cup of the liquid for later use. 

In a large sauté pan heat the olive oil and add the Guanciale, allowing to render to crisp and golden.Remove from heat and set aside for later use, making sure to leave the fat in the pan.

Add the reserved 1/4 cup of pasta water,  Guanciale and the spaghetti to the pan and heat while shaking the pan for a minute or 2.  Remove from heat and add 1 cup of the Parmigiano-Reggiano, egg whites, salt and pepper to taste.

To plate divide the pasta by the amount of plates you are serving (4 for this recipe) by making a nest (see picture below) and adding 1 yolk per plate.  Add more pepper and the remainder of the cheese to each plate and allow the guest to stir it in for an even thicker sauce.  No worries, the heat of the pasta will cook the yolks.  


Carbonara with egg yolk prior to mixing in.


Carbonara with yolk mixed in.



------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beautiful Heirloom Tomato



Casarecce with Wild Salmon, Roasted Asparagus and Fresh Heirlooms


This is our second session with my friend Casarecce because I prefer it to penne and more importantly because I'm the Other Parsimonious Chef and I have some left in the pantry from the last time I cooked it. One of my goals is to help to save you money not to ask you to buy extra things simply to be cute.  The salmon and asparagus add a great touch as does the cream and fresh heirlooms.


For the Casarecce with Wild Salmon, Heirlooms and Roasted Asparagus we will need the following:

  • Casarecce (1#)
  • Heirloom Tomatoes (2 ea)
  • Asparagus (12 ea)
  • Wild Salmon (8 oz)
  • Garlic (3 Tbs)
  • Basil (1/8 cup)
  • Heavy Cream (1/2 cup)


Cook the pasta in accordance with the directions on the box.  

Heat the cream and add 1 Tbs garlic, allowing it to thicken or reduce by 1/4. 

Marinade the salmon in garlic, olive oil and basil for 15 minutes, then bake on 425 for 6-8 minutes or until done.  Once done allow to cool for later use.

Cut the asparagus on a bias to 2 inch portions and roast by adding olive oil at the same time that you are cooking the salmon.

Add the cream to the pasta along with the asparagus and stir to incorporate.  Add the salmon by flaking medium pieces into the pasta and sauce (see picture below).


Salmon baked and flaked.


Finally, cut the tomatoes by roughly dicing and adding directly to the pasta.  Add fresh basil to the sauce and stir gently.


Creamy Casarecce with Fresh Heirlooms

No comments:

Post a Comment