80's Music

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Be Inspired By Everything.... Soup & Sandwiches.... Chicken Soup & Banh Mi


Pastrami on Ciabatta with Coleslaw


Bahn "Mine" Sandwich 


Citrus Toddy


Chicken & Root Vegetable Soup 


There are times that I forget that I am a chef!  I know it seems a bit off but I will literally walk around wondering what in the heck I want to eat and who's going to fix it for me.  It lasts for a minute or two or until someone calls me to ask for my advice.   So the other day a friend calls to tell me that she has a bit of a change of season's cold and to my absolute "Horror" she was going to go to the store and get canned soup. Clearly something drastic needed to be done fast.  It was in this moment that I remembered that not only can I make great soups,  it would also provide me with relevant content for this week's blog entry.  Off I went to get the necessities for the soup.  But what about something to drink besides tea?  Well, I thought to myself,  there's always Citrus Toddy and who doesn't need extra Vitamin C especially when there's a cold on the horizon. Now what in the heck do I eat?  I asked myself,  what goes better with soup than a great sandwich?  Absolutely nothing.... 

A recurring theme with my entries is the fact that I allow the universe to inspire me in whichever way it chooses to do so.  My only job is to be aware of the opportunities and take advantage as they present themselves.  Be inspired by a song, the trees, a flower, a break up, triumph, tragedy or a friend calling with a voice that's a little more hoarse than normal.  Whatever it is, just be Inspired and act on it!!!!!


On the menu for today:


Roasted Root Vegetable & Chicken Soup

Leo's  Citrus Toddy

Pastrami on Toasted Ciabatta with Savoy Cabbage Coleslaw

Banh "Mine" (my version of the Vietnamese Sandwich Banh Mi)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roasted Root Vegetables & Chicken Soup

Root Veg & Chicken Soup
Chicken noodle soup is the first thing that comes to mind as soon as I feel a bit "under the weather" ever since it was so loving prescribed to me by my mother when I was a kid.  When I have a cold, however, it is normally accompanied by a sore throat and noodles just don't seem to help at all.  When I make my soups that require pasta I use Acini Di Pepe due to the spherical shape and the ease with which they are eaten.  I normally roast the root vegetables with olive oil and garlic to add another layer of flavor.  I suggest you get an already roasted whole chicken from your local grocery store and choose one to your liking.  Remove the skin, (reserve it to crispin for garnish ie picture below)
dice the meat and reserve it to place in the soup as instructed below.


For this we will need the following:

  • Baked Chicken (whole)
  • Celery (1 cup)
  • Carrots (2 cups)
  • Parsnips (1.5 cups)
  • Potato (2 cups)
  • Onion (1 cup)
  • Sage (1 sprig)
  • Thyme (4 sprigs)
  • Oregano (7 sprigs)
  • Garlic (2 Tbs)
  • Chicken Broth (16 oz)
  • Acini Di Pepe (2 cups)
  • Olive Oil (1 Tbs)

Dice the onions and sauté them in the pot with olive oil and then add the chicken broth.  Slice the carrots, parsnips and celery and marinate in garlic, herbs and olive oil.  Place the root vegetable in an oven preheated to 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes.  Add to the broth. Make the Acini Di Pepe in accordance with the instructions on the box and once done add to the broth mixture with the roasted root vegetable and salt to taste.



Roasted Parsnips, Carrots, Potatoes & Celery

 Roasted Root Vegetable & Chicken Soup

Soup with Crispy Skin Crouton 


------------------------------------------------------------------------

Citrus & Ginger Toddy

Oranges, Lemons, Grapefruit, Ginger, Cloves

My Father's name is Leo and he was the chef in the house until we grew old enough to cook for ourselves. Not that my mom didn't cook, he just seemed to really do a few things pretty well.   When he cooked a steak he always made it medium rare and let it sit to remain juicy.  He also made great burgers and used beefsteak tomatoes to dress the sandwich.  But among his favorites things to make where his many cold remedies which we affectionately and sometimes not so affectionately called his "concoctions".  These panacea were normally followed with just a touch of whisky, of course to break up the cold and put you out like a light. And yes, we were all of age!!!



For this we will need the following:

  • Large Stew Pot (1 ea)
  • Oranges (6 ea)
  • Grapefruit (1 ea)
  • Lemons (8 ea)
  • Cloves (10 ea)
  • Cinnamon Stick (1 ea)
  • Honey (1/2 cup)
  • Ginger (1 bulb)
  • Whisky- Optional (1-2 cups) 


Slice all of the fruit leaving the peels on.  Peel and slice the ginger and add to the pot with enough water to cover them.  Add the honey, cinnamon stick and the cloves and allow to simmer for 45 minute to 1.5 hours. This can be served hot or cold and the whisky is optional.



Citrus Toddy w/ Whisky 



------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pastrami on Toasted Ciabatta with Savoy Cabbage Coleslaw

Pastrami on Ciabatta


@ DuPont Circle Farmer's Market My Favorite Butchery.....

Cured Meats From Red Apron Butchery


I grew up in a family with 6 children, 3 boys and 3 girls but unlike the Brady Bunch we all belonged to my mother and father.  My sister Cheryl is the person that I credit with any bit of culture that I have, with 6 kids it can be difficult for parents to do it all.  Cheryl is the person that would take me to museums and restaurants and taught me how to socialize.  On one of our outings we went to a place called The Saloon, in Georgetown DC, this was a place that was known for the live entertainment and the sandwiches.  It was also the first time I ever tasted a Pastrami with coleslaw.  Love at first BITE...


For this we will need the following:

  • Pastrami 
  • Ciabatta Bread
  • Savoy Cabbage (1/2 head)
  • Red Cabbage (1/4 head)
  • Shredded Carrots (1 cup)
  • Mayo (1 cup)
  • Rice Vinegar (2 Tbs)
  • Dijon Mustard (1 Tbs)
  • Sugar (3 Tbs)
  • Chili Flake (1 Tbs)
  • Sauerkraut (1/2 cup)
  • Olive Oil (1 Tbs)


Red Apron's Van of Delectables



http://www.facebook.com/redapronbutchery



Savoy Cabbage Coleslaw 





Make the coleslaw by adding both cabbages, sauerkraut, and carrots.  Make the dressing by adding the mayo, vinegar, mustard,sugar and chili flake.  Toast the ciabatta by adding olive oil and placing soft side down. Plate by placing the toasted bread on a plate, add the pastrami and place the coleslaw on top.  Add chips or a salad and enjoy.


Pastrami on Toasted Ciabatta with Savoy Cabbage Coleslaw

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Banh "Mine" / Banh Mi

Banh "Mine" Sandwich 

How many superlatives can you give to a sandwich?  If you have ever eaten a Banh Mi that list should be extensive.  I'll limit mine to decadent, visually appealing and the best "dayum" sandwich on the freakin' planet! Words truly cannot do this work of art justice.  From the pate', chili peppers, cilantro and the soft but crunchy baguette it is second to NONE, PERIOD!!  My homage to the Banh Mi is called the Banh Mine as I have taken the creative license to add elements that I enjoy.  First I roast my own pork loin in a vanilla sugar and add bacon in the place of minced pork.  I also use the rendered bacon fat to create flavor and texture by toasting the baguette in it.




For this we will need the following:

  • Pork Loin 
  • Vanilla (1 tsp)
  • Brown Sugar (1/4 cup)
  • Garlic (1 tsp)
  • Kosher Salt (1 Tbs)
  • Olive Oil (1 Tbs)
  • Pate' (4 oz)
  • Bacon (2 strips)
  • Rice Vinegar (1 Tbs)
  • Jalapeno (2 ea)
  • Thai Chili (4 ea)
  • Cucumber (2 ea)
  • Red Cabbage (1 cup)
  • Carrots (1 ea)
  • Cilantro (1 bun)
  • Sugar (1/2 cup)
  • Crispy Baguette (1 pp)

Take the vanilla, garlic, brown sugar, salt & olive oil and combine by whisking.  Coat the pork loin with the vanilla-sugar mixture.  Being sure to line the pan with aluminum foil,  place the loin in an oven that is preheated to 425 degrees for 25-30 minutes.  Once it is done allow it to sit, uncovered to cool for later cutting. Take the cucumbers and slice thinly length-wise, shred the carrots and cut the peppers into coins.  Make the dressing by adding the olive oil , rice vinegar, salt and sugar and pouring it on the veggies.  Wash the cilantro, cut 1/4 of the stem off  and place in marinade.  Cut the bacon into strips and render, set aside once browned and place the bread in the pan to lightly toast.  Dress the sandwich by spreading the Pate' on the bottom roll, adding the cilantro, carrots, cabbage, bacon, sliced pork loin, and peppers before adding the top bun and slicing. I'll have a crisp and cold pilsner to help with the heat and cut through the sweet.


Vanilla Sugar Roasted Pork Loin

Delectable


Banh Mine


Banh Mine w/ Pilsner.










2 comments:

  1. I love your blog... thank you for sharing all the wonderful yuumminess with us! And I love that you included your family Citrus Toddy recipe! I just forwarded this to a friend who's daughter is ill... Good stuff. Keep it up!

    Wishing you well Always,
    Erica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erica, Thank you so much for the support and compliments. True story - I was home a week ago and my dad was still peddling his "concoction" to an under-the-weather friend. He's still making it at 90 years old and more importantly it's still effective. I do hope that your friend's daughter gets well soon. Thank you again........

      Delete