80's Music

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Rise & Shine; A Farmhouse Breakfast.....




Farmhouse Series...


Farmhouse Breakfast

Madison County, Va. 

Silos @ Madison County, Va.

A few weeks back I went to Madison County, Va with my best friend Rob to visit his parents. Madison is a county that is about 45 miles west of Charlottesville, Va which is home to the University of Virginia. The area here is mostly farmland which fortunately means it's also a great place to find fresh vegetables, fruit, herbs and meat.  

I grew up in the suburbs of Maryland so I'm no stranger to the "sticks" but Fort Washington would hardly be considered farmland. By being here it reminded me of all of the things that I miss about living outside of a major city. From the slower pace, the bigger yards to the family like atmosphere; it really made me appreciate the difference between living in the city and living in a rural area, not that one is better than the other as they both have pros and cons.

While I was there I was able to walk around and take pictures of farm life such as the silos pictured, some farmhouses and was even able to get a close up of the neighbors dairy cows and farm. At one point after I met Rob's father, he asked me what time I normally wake up. I told him that, due to the fact that I am a night owl I normally didn't wake up until well after 10 a.m. He laughed and said very matter of fact-ly," I would have missed out on a full day's work if I woke up that late Mark."  We both laughed and that was that. Of course I'd love to say that I was shamed into waking up at the rooster's first cry, but in all reality I slept so soundly that the rooster didn't have a chance. But that exchange did get me to thinking about the vital role that breakfast plays in farmer's life.



Farmhouse Breakfast




On the menu for today is the Farmhouse Breakfast

Farmhouse Skillet Potatoes, Bacon, Scrambled Eggs with Cheddar and Toasted Baguette


For this menu we will need the following:

  • Bacon (3 pp)
  • Bacon Diced (1 Slice)
  • Eggs (2 pp)
  • Yukon Gold Potatoes (1-2 each pp)
  • Season Salt (1 tsp)
  • Cheddar Cheese (1-2 oz)
  • Garlic (1 tsp)
  • Thyme (1 Tbs)
  • Olive Oil (1 Tbs)
  • Baguette 
  • Salt (tt)
  • Preserves/Jelly (you choose)

When I think of work on a farm I think of a lot of heavy lifting, bending and sweating. I also imagine that none of these things could be done without a hearty breakfast.  Nothing too heavy nor sweet just meat, potatoes and eggs and then time to get to the tasks for the day at least until time for lunch. 


Cook the bacon (both sets) and set aside, reserving fat to cook the potatoes in. Slice the potatoes and place in the warmed skillet allowing to brown on one side then flipping and placing directly into an oven preheated to 375 degrees for 15 minutes add the garlic & herbs and continue to cook for 5 minutes more or until done.

Heat a skillet with olive oil and add the eggs making sure to stir as they are being heated and add the cheese and salt to taste.

Cut the baguette into slices and toast in a skillet with butter, use any type of preserve of jelly you like or have on hand (pictured is sour cherry mash).


Applewood Smoked Bacon


FarmHouse Skillet Potatoes with Bacon & Herbs


Scrambled Eggs With Cheddar Cheese


Cheesy Goodness

Farmhouse Potatoes




2 comments: