80's Music

Friday, May 11, 2012

I Don't Want To Wait In Vain, Do You? Curry Chicken & Akee With Salt Fish...




Curry Chicken With Acini Di Pepe



About 4 years ago I was introduced to my friend Erik's mother in law, Mrs. Chambers.  I was leaving soon to head to Iraq to cook for our troops.  His in-laws are Jamaican so I wasn't surprised that there was Curry Chicken being made for dinner that night.  Secretly I had hoped for Akee & Salt Fish but the smell of Jamaican Curry wafting around the house was more than enough to have my mouth watering for what was to come.  I sat down to have a plate, the first bite was heavenly.  The chicken was tender and the onions still had a crispness to them that was incredible.  The second bite held more of a surprise, you see I've had this dish made for me plenty of times and had even made it myself but this was different.  I bit down and there was a doughy little narrow dumpling that was infused with all on the ingredients of the dish.  I found out that they are called "spinners" (you make them by "spinning" dough in your hands).  I soon discovered that the spinners were as essential to this dish as the chicken itself is, it adds a new dimension  of flavor and a welcome contrast in texture.  It's for this reason that I chose Acini Di Pepe for this dish instead of the traditional rice.  The tiny spheres burst in your mouth with each bite.  I'm sure that some of you are wondering why I didn't just make the spinners to go with this dish instead?  To that I say, I will never be able to duplicate Mrs. Chamber's spinners so why disrespect her dish.



Negril Sunset



On the menu for this weekend:

Curry Chicken with Acini Di Pepe  & Cucumber-Tomato Salad
Akee & Salt Fish with Festival



Curry Chicken is an extremely popular dish with recipes that vary from kitchen to kitchen all across the Caribbean and South East Asia.  When I make it, I prefer to make the sauce spicy and thick so that there's dipping sauce for the "Oh-So-Good" fried bread.

For the Curry Chicken menu we will need the following:

  • Chicken (any parts)
  • Onions (1 onion)
  • Garlic (5 cloves)
  • Fresh Thyme (3 stalks)
  • Tomato (2 each)
  • Potato (2 cups)
  • Scotch Bonnet Pepper or Habanero (2 each)
  • Jamaican Curry (3 Tbs)
  • Chicken Stock (2 cups)
  • Acini Di Pepe (1 box)
  • Pita Bread (2 Each) or Paratha
  • Olive Oil (2 Tbs)





Start by marinating the chicken in garlic and olive oil for 1 hour. Once the chicken is ready place it skin down into a heated and oiled pan and remove once browned. Add the julienned onions, garlic, diced tomatoes and peppers into the same pan adding the curry powder and allowing to brown slightly.  Take the browned chicken and add it to the pot and pour in the chicken stock (1 cup).  Allow to come to a boil, reduce heat and cover. Check in 10 minutes, add the diced potatoes and cover while allowing to cook for 10-15 more minutes or until done.  The starch in the potatoes will thicken the curry to your desire.


Boil chicken stock, add herbs, salt then add the pasta, it should take between 9-11 minutes.



Acini Di Pepe


In a heated skillet place the pita bread or Paratha (Indian Bread) just to allow to warm slightly. The bread shown is Indian and Pakistani in origin and will need to be purchased at a specialty store, but I chose it because it goes well with curry.



Heated Paratha 


Slice both the cucumber and the red onion thinly and add salt and vinegar.




Cucumber & Tomato Salad





Curry Chicken, Cucumber-Tomato Salad & Partha 


The first time that  I had Akee & Salt Fish was in Montego Bay,  Jamaica in the early 90's.  I had gone there for 8 days with two of my friends.  I remember looking on all of the "local's" plates and seeing what seemed to be scrambled eggs and white fish with some fried piece of bread.  The idea of this was new for me and I wanted no parts of it, but as I sat there day after day wondering how and why so many people could eat such a combination, I knew I had to try it as soon as I could. So when I ordered the "scrambled eggs and fish",  the waiter said, "sir that's an unusual request!"  "Are you sure that you don't want the Akee & Salt Fish!"  We both laughed and he told me that it wasn't the first time it had happened.  About 10 minutes later I was introduced to what was then and is still one of favorite meals on this planet.



Akee & Salt Fish



Akee & Salt Fish With Festival




For The Akee & Salt Fish menu we will need the following:

  • Salted Cod (1 #)
  • Scotch Bonnet or Habanero Pepper (2 ea)
  • Onion (1 each)
  • Tomato (2 each)
  • Sweet Bell Pepper (2 ea)
  • Garlic (4 cloves)
  • Canned Akee (2 cans)
  • Fresh Thyme (3 stalks)
  • Festival Mix (1 box)
  • Olive Oil (2 Tbs)


Mise En Place


To get the salt fish, akee and festival mix you will need to locate a Caribbean grocery store, my suggestion is to do a Google search to find one near you.

Take the salt fish,  submerge it in cold water and refrigerate for 8-24 hrs.  Be sure to change the water 2-3 times during the process.  Once the fish is ready, bring a pan of cold water with the salt fish to a boil and cook for 20 minutes or until the cured fish is tender.  Chop the onion, garlic, sweet pepper , tomato and habanero and set aside for later use.  Take the salt fish out of the pan of water, allowing it to cool, pick through it to remove all bones and to slightly flake.  Add olive oil to a skillet then add the onions, garlic, sweet peppers, thyme and habanero cooking for about 4 minutes.  Add the salt fish and tomatoes and sauté for another 10 minutes. Drain the cans of akee and add to the mix, sauteing lightly and making sure NOT to break the akee apart, until it has heated thoroughly (about 3 minutes).


Festival "uncooked"



Prepare the Festival in accordance with the instructions on the package.  Sticking with tradition I'll have  a Red Stripe or a Ting to make it all come together.


Festival 

Akee & Salt Fish w/ Festival

2nd Plating 




3 comments:

  1. Win the chance to have The Other Parsimonious Chef prepare a dish from the Blog for you and 3 of your guest. All you have to do is get friends to join the blog site and leave a comment on food that you have prepared from the blog. Details are coming soon, please email or leave a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good. I'm going to have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be sure to let me know how it turns out, BTW stews are always better on day 2....

      Delete