80's Music

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A Little Scoop Of Heaven... Roasted Beef Bone Marrow To Die For.....

Bone Marrow


If you have never had roasted bone marrow you are allowing yourself to miss out on one of life's simple pleasures.  They are low in cost, quick in preparation, come in their own serving dish (use the bone to serve them) and delicious beyond compare.

When I was young I would watch my father and grandfather eat things that I would turn my nose up.  I, like most other children, was a finicky eater to an extent.  Beef Tongue, Chitterlings and even Pig's Feet were commonly served on our menu while I wanted nothing to do with them at that time.  If you know me, then you know this insanity didn't last long (maybe from ages 2-5).

I think I was about ten when I had my first scoop of heaven.  I can clearly remember taking my finger, scraping the marrow out and either placing it on a cracker or just eating right off of my finger, I also remember looking around and hoping that none of my siblings saw my "lowbrow" behavior for fear of being the butt of the joke for the rest of the day (try growing up in a house with 3 boys and 3 girls).

On the menu for today is Roasted Bone Marrow....

For this we will need the following:

  • Beef Bones (1-2 per person)
  • Garlic (1 Clove per bone)
  • Flat Leaf Parsley (1 Tbs)
  • Dijon Mustard (1 tsp)
  • Capers (1 Tbs)
  • Red Onions (1tsp)
  • Coarse Kosher  Salt (t t)
  • Baguette (1 each)

Beef bones can be found in the meat section at most grocery stores.  If you are unable to find them just ask a butcher at the store and they will direct you to them.

The bones will have two openings, place the smaller opening down in the pan and sit upright.  Place one clove of garlic on top of the bone, sprinkle with salt and place in an oven preheated to 425 degrees for 20 minutes.  

While the bones are cooking mix together the chopped parsley, mustard, capers, diced red onions and set aside until the bones are done (do not refrigerate mixture as you need it to remain warm so as not to cool down the bone marrow).  

Once the Bones cool slightly, carefully scoop out the marrow and add the marrow to the bowl of mixed items and dice one of the cloves of roasted garlic to add to the mixture.  Place the mixture into the bones and cut baguette to serve.  

  
Time to Dine

2 comments:

  1. I had the pleasure of tasting this wonderful dish and it was unbelievable.... I thought bone marrow??? Boy was I surprised!!!!
    I can't wait for the next dishes.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mo, it's always a pleasure when I introduce someone to something new, especially when it's so well received. Thank you for your comment and be sure to ask for dishes that you would like to see in the future.

    ReplyDelete