80's Music

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

A Slice of Americana... Bacon Bleu Cheese Burger....


Bacon Bleu Cheese Burger with Grilled Onions


With this being Independence Day what better to talk about than hot dogs, burgers or Americana?
Back in the day there was a Chevrolet ad that listed four things that were uniquely American. "Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie and Chevrolet!",are the things that were listed, in a jingle of course.That may have been fine for some but for me it was "Football, Blueberry Pie, Hamburgers and Chevrolet (that's what my parents bought to drive)!" While I am a rule follower , I am also a non conformist and love to push the envelope in order to improve things.

I love hot dogs, after all what's not to love; Hamburgers however, are by far my favorite of the two. I'm somewhat of a purist when it comes to my burger, I'm not much for adding silly things to it just to seem innovative. Things such as cheese in the middle, truffles on top of or crab meat in my hamburger are a waste of time for me. I even saw a demo on how to make eggs in a hole in your raw patty on Pinterest recently. Don't get me wrong I love a sunny side up egg on top of my burger but inside, please! How do you make sure that the burger is at least medium rare while the yolk stays runny, sounds like it's gonna spend some time in the microwave to me. Just give me ground beef, seasonings and a good bun, I can improvise with the toppings maybe trying different types of cheese and some sort of meat with it. Now that, to me is American through and through, no need to reinvent the wheel when it works just fine but if somehow I can improve it just by making simple adjustments, all the better for me and my sandwich.



On the menu today : Bacon-Bleu Cheese Burger with Grilled Onions 




The Americana 


You can get a Kobe beef burger but really what's the point, Kobe is some of the finest, best tasting and most tender beef that you can consume. The critical question that comes to my mind when I see it on the menu is this however, why in the hell would anyone take a piece of beef that's already tender and grind it into ground beef?  Why not just take a Kobe tenderloin, cook it to medium rare and place that on a bun? It would definitely be worth the premium price that I am being charged then. 



For this menu we will need the following:

  • Ground Beef (1 #)
  • Season Salt  (1 tsp)
  • Garlic Salt  (1 tsp)
  • Bacon (1 slice per burger)
  • Lettuce (.5 Leaf pp)
  • Onions (1 ea)
  • Bleu Cheese (2 oz)
  • Hamburger Bun (1 pp)


The Wheel Redone 


Make the patties by adding the season salt and garlic salt first and then form into medium to large sized patties. Grill by adding salt and cooking until at least medium rare. Once cooked remove and set aside. Add the bacon to the pan and cook until crisp, remove then add the onions, remove and set aside once done and toast the bun in the same pan. Dress the burger as shown below add chips or a salad if you choose. 


The Americana 
Bacon Bleu Burger

No comments:

Post a Comment