80's Music

Friday, July 6, 2012

Pan Roasted Chicken with Loaded Potatoes and Wax Beans.

Pan Roasted Chicken W/ Loaded Smashed Potatoes & Sautéed Beans



I have an old pair of jeans in my closet that will just not go away. I've tried to throw them out on many occasions but somehow they just stay in the rotation. I mean I've had them in the Good Will pile and even the "Hand- Me- Down" pile but somehow they just can't seem to leave my possession. It's no mystery I am the one that stops the transaction every time it happens. I cling to excuses like; "keeping these will give me the motivation to lose this weight!", "Who doesn't need an extra pair of jeans to paint  in!" or the old standby, "I paid way too dayum much for these to have only worn three times!" I completely understand why I hold on to them, attachment, tradition and comfort.

I define attachment as a healthy refusal to let go of something for whatever reason. Maybe it simply pleases you! Maybe you feel as though you can't live without it! Maybe you feel as if in some small way it helps to define you. I am a very frugal person because it's how I grew up and it works for me. I try to save things to get multiple uses out of them in order to feel as if I am doing my part to limit my waste. Comfort is by far the one thing that trumps everything to me. Comfort in the sense of what fits like a glove or feels familiar and sets me at ease or better yet to reminisce.

A recurring subject for me is comfort food, who doesn't want to be comforted with food? Eat and cook what makes you happy and definitely what makes you harken back to a fond memory that makes you smile and pay homage to the good old days!


On the menu today : Pan Roasted Chicken with Loaded Smashed Potatoes & Assorted Beans








Roasted Chicken is relatively easy and is great with any kind of potato but I prefer smashed potatoes over mashed because of the texture. I love getting a small chunk of potato when I put them in my mouth and by adding the crispy pancetta it bumps the dish to the next level. The green beans  add a fresh  snappy texture when cooked properly and round out the dish perfectly.


For the Roasted Chicken we will need the following:

  • Chicken (Half or 1/4)
  • Garlic (5 cloves)
  • Lemon (3 whole)
  • Red Onions (1 whole)
  • Sage (3 stalks)
  • Thyme (5 stalks)
  • Soy Sauce (1/4 cup)
  • Lemon (4 halves with juice)
  • Dijon Mustard (1 Tbs)
  • White Wine (1/4 cup)
  • Coarse Salt (TT)
  • Olive Oil (3 Tbs)


Marinate the chicken by dicing the garlic, sage and thyme and adding them to the soy sauce Dijon mustard, lemon halves and white wine to pour over the chicken. Allow to marinate for an hour or up to 24 hours. Once ready pat the skin side dry with a paper towel, salt and sear using the olive oil. Allow the chicken to crisp on one side on high for 5-7 minutes. Flip and place in an oven preheated to 425 for 20-27 minutes or until done.



Pan Roasted Chicken




For the Smashed Loaded Potatoes we will need the following:


  • Potatoes (8-12 med ea)
  • Milk (1.5 cups)
  • Garlic (3 cloves)
  • Butter (1/4 stick)
  • Green Onions (1.5 cups)
  • Pancetta (.5 cup)
  • Celery (.5 cup)
  • Cheddar Cheese (.5 cup)
  • Salt (TT)
  • Pepper (TT)

Place the potatoes in a pot and pour cold water over them, salt and allow to come to a boil, cooking them until they can be easily pierced with a fork. Heat the milk adding the garlic, salt, pepper and butter. Dice the pancetta, green onions and celery and sauté until browned. Drain the cooked potatoes and add to a bowl, smash and add the milk a bit at a time stirring carefully (be sure not to over mix to avoid "gummy" potatoes) finally adding the cheddar cheese and sauteed product and salt to taste.




Loaded Smashed Potatoes


For the beans we will need the following:


  • Wax Beans & Green Beans (2-3 #)
  • Olive Oil (2 Tbs)
  • Garlic (1 Tbs)
  • Salt (TT)

Bring a pan of salted water to a rolling boil and add the beans to the pot allowing to cook for 3-3 minutes. Place the cooked veggies in a bowl of iced water to stop the cooking process. Heat a skillet or sauté pan and add the garlic, allowing to slightly brown, add the beans and sauté until crisp, adding salt to taste.


Sauteed Green & Wax Beans




















2 comments:

  1. This looks marvelous. When will you be serving this dish in Oakland?

    -Darren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever you need me to D. I should be there sometime in August. Thank you Bro.

      Delete