80's Music

Saturday, July 21, 2012

OMG LMAOFR Roasted Salmon w/ Smashed Potatoes and Summer Veggies...

Roasted Salmon With Smashed Potatoes & Sautéed Veggies


The new power generation grows up knowing all types of short hand for text messaging but I'm older and have problems keeping up to speed sometimes. I have nephews and friends that send me text messages that seem more like WW II code than a message sent from them to let me know that I wrote or did something funny. Fortunately most things are like riding a bike, so that once you learn how, it sticks with you for life.

OMG LMAOFR - On My Grill, Leftovers Make An Outstanding Food Request! When cooking either for the family or a group of friends it is hard to do so without having leftovers.  The last few entries, if you have been paying attention, have had an element of both of the side choices for this menu with the corn and asparagus being from the Asparagus Coulis & Cod Menu and the mashed potatoes from the Roasted Chicken Menu.

When using leftovers, often times the key is to use it in a different way or to use it with a different main dish. If you have corn from a dish leftover, add it to soup or a salad or even better just use it as an extra or bonus vegetable. In the case today, I had corn, asparagus and smashed potatoes left so I just added the salmon and made a Beurre Blanc (white wine butter sauce) to bring it all together.


On the menu today : Roasted Salmon Beurre Blanc with Smashed Potatoes & Roasted Veggies


Salmon w/ leftovers


There's really no need to menu plan for leftovers but you do have to consider what goes together, as a result I will keep somethings that will hold until I have just the right main dish to go with it. Potatoes not unlike stews, get better when they are sitting around for a few days, the key is to know what to add to them to bring out their hidden flavors.



For the Potatoes see July 6th Menu Pan Roasted Chicken With Loaded Potatoes
For the Corn & Asparagus See July 16th Menu Blackened Cod.










For the Salmon we need the following:


  • Salmon (filet skin on 1 pp)
  • Lemon (3 Tbs)
  • Olive Oil (2 Tbs)
  • Garlic (2 Tbs)
  • Butter (1/4 stick)
  • White Wine (1 cup)


Marinate the salmon in lemon juice (2 Tbs). olive oil (1 Tbs) and white wine (1/4 cup) for 30-45 minutes. Pat dry with a paper towel and sear the  flesh side to allow to brown as shown below, leave for 3-5 minutes and then flip and place in an oven heated to 375 for 3-5 minutes more and set aside once done.


For the Beurre Blanc:

In a sauté over medium heat, add the garlic and olive oil allowing to brown slightly, adding the wine next to reduce by half and then add the butter (a chip at a time) being sure to agitate or shake the pan as you add the butter. Once done plate the dish as seen below and pour the sauce over the fish.


Salmon - Beurre Blanc 



6 comments:

  1. MARK,
    My palette can appreciate the taste of zesty corn, tomato seed squeeze, lightly coated mash and the perfectly seared salmon...I'd taste to that!

    By: Tania "Chyna Nicole" Williams
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just let me know when you come this way, my kitchen is always open to you Chyna Nicole. I really appreciate the compliment...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once I meet my goal weight, THIS is the menu I will choose to celebrate with!
    I'll have to pair it with a crispy white wine....maybe a St.Supery Sauvignon Blanc :)

    BTW, I love this:OMG LMAOFR - On My Grill, Leftovers Make An Outstanding Food Request!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caroyln, St. Supery is the way to go with this meal. If my memory serves me these were loaded mash with Cheddar cheese and thick bits of crispy pancetta. It would pair well with the saltiness. Thank you for the love as usual.... I needed something to talk about on that post and my nephews were texting me as I was writing. Aha Moment in deed. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh... I believe I just found what I'll be making for dinner this weekend. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let me know how it turns out Susan. Thank you for taking the time to comment.

    ReplyDelete