80's Music

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Fr(y)day Special: Carry Out Style Fried Croaker & Chips...

When I was a kid, I always remembered Friday as the day when the house would smell like fish. Be it grilled, steamed, baked or fried, I never knew which, but I always knew that on Friday, fish of some sort was on the menu. It's a shame that I no longer hold that tradition, but every now and again I'll get back to my roots and eat fried fish and go back to a simpler, more delicious time.

On the menu today: Fried Croaker & Chips.

 
Croaker

Washington D.C. has recently become a foodie town and that's a good thing, for a while we were only known for Ben's Chili Bowl (skip-able) and that's not a good thing at all. As usual finding something that's good requires a bit of a research and more than that an inclination to travel off of the beaten path.

Fried fish in DC is best executed at Carry Out's (pronounced Curry Out's) all over the hood. When I think about it and I need a quick fix I head to Horace and Dickies and now Fish Wife (Union Market) to get it done the way I like it and avoid the smell of fried fish in the crib. When I want it done with all that I like, I head to the Wharf, purchase a few Croakers and make the best fried fish that you can possibly make; Carry out styled Fried Croaker. This style is absolutely the sh!+... As you will see below I spare none of the trimmings, which includes the stale wheat bread breaker on the plate and of course the fried chips with malt vinegar. I think it's the Sh!+ if I do say so myself...


Fried Croaker & Chips

On the menu today: Carry Out Style Fried Croaker with Chips... 


Freshly Cut Batons

French Fries
Prep Time: 5 minutes 
Cooking Time: 7 - 10 Minutes

Start off by washing the potatoes and then cutting them into batons as seen above (french fry shapes) and then Hot Oil Blanch by deep frying in a preheated deep fryer set to 350 for three minutes before placing in the freezer for 20 minutes. Once the 20 minutes has passed place back into the fryer to cook until your desired level of crispiness
 
Crispy Chips 

Scaled, gutted & vented. 

Fried Croaker 
Prep Time: 3 Minutes
Frying Time: 5-8 Minutes 

Start off by having the fish monger, scale, and vent your fish. Next make your flour seasoning by adding 2 cups of flour and a mixture of the following spices: Paprika, Garlic Powder, Old Bay, Red Pepper and Lemon Pepper (1/4 tsp each). Shake these things in a paper bag to mix thoroughly, taste (to see if adjustments are needed) and then add the fish to the bag to coat completely. Fry fish in a deep fryer preheated to 350 degrees for 5-12 minutes (depending on the desired amount of crispiness).

* As seen in the picture above I cut slits into my fish for added flavoring. This allows the mixture to get into the meat of the fish and is a great flavor booster

To plate add two pieces of bread down on the plate and place the fish directly from the fryer on to the bread (this creates a crust on the bread that is to die for, trust me). Eat with you hands, everything taste better with your hands... 

Fried Croaker

As far as condiments go, the only thing I need is hot sauce or Sriracha for the fish and salt & malt vinegar for the fries. It's best to have the fish slightly over salted so that a nice Pilsner can help to wash it all down... 



  

No comments:

Post a Comment