80's Music

Monday, November 3, 2014

"It Is What It Is!" Double Dipped Buttermilk Fried Chicken, Hot Drop Fried Biscuits, Loaded Smashed Potatoes With Sauteed Cabbage & Collards...

Double Dipped Buttermilk Chicken & Hot Drop Biscuits
More often than not the saying "It Is What It Is" is annoying to me but there are times when it's the only phrase that can be used to perfectly describe a situation. Allow me to reflect on one such occasion as I add this recipe to the blog for you.

As most of you know I recently worked in Afghanistan for about a year or so. Well on my first day at work I had a moment that simply put was an "It Is What It Is" moment that still makes me laugh to this very day. When I came into the facility I had one of my colleagues taking me around to introduce me to some of the agents that I would be menu planning, cooking for and serving for the foreseeable future. As I was paraded around I came across a group of guys that seemed to be giving me the old once over. I've never been one to shy away from a situation so I dove right in. "Hey gentlemen, I'm Mark and I'll be here to run this facility. If you have any issues or questions please let me know how or if I can be of service and I'll be sure to address those for remedy." I said as I shook hands. *I happen to be a Black man and am about 235 lbs and stand about 6 feet tall. Out of the group steps up this guy that happened to be White and stood about 5'6" and might have weighed 130 pounds. "Hey brother, I'm Tony from the great state of Mississippi and would like to welcome you by saying that I'm glad that we finally have a brother here, shit now maybe we can finally get some good fried chicken." Talk about awkward. The whole crowd stood around in stunned silence to see what my reaction would be, Tony turned beet red after replaying what was meant to be inner monologue and sat there stammering. I looked at him and we both fell out laughing. "Damn brother, I swear that came out all wrong!" Tony went on to say. "Shit, actually while I can make Sweetbreads and Beef Wellington, my Fried Chicken is the shit!" While what he said have have been seen by some as stereotypical it was just his honest feeling at the time and what endeared me to him for the time that I was there. Tony and I fast became great friends and would often sit down and talk for hours about a list of subject. 

On the menu today: Double Dipped Buttermilk Fried Chicken and Sides...

Chicken Marinade: 24 Hours
Deep Frying Time: 10-15 Minutes 
Oven Temp: 325 Degrees
  • 8-14 Pieces of Chicken 
  • Buttermilk (2 Cups)
  • Garlic (1 Tbs) 
* Mince the garlic and stir into a large mixing bowl, allowing the chicken to marinate for 12-24 hours. Once done drain the chicken while reserving the buttermilk and setting aside for the 2nd dip.

Fried Chicken
  • Flour (3.5 Cups)
  • Paprika (1 Tbs)
  • Garlic Powder (1 Tbs) 
  • Red Pepper (1 Tbs) 
  • Lemon Salt (1 Tbs)
  • Season Salt (2 Tbs)
* Combine all ingredients in a paper bag and mix thoroughly before adding the drained chicken. Shake in the bag until each piece is properly coated. Place on a wire rack and one by one take each piece and place back into the reserved buttermilk and back into the paper bag for the second coat. Place the chicken into a preheated (350-375) deep fryer for 8-12 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees. Once done allow to drain on a clean wire rack to allow access oil drainage.     

Hot Drops
Deep Frying Time: 3-7 Minutes 
Frying Temp: 325 Degrees

For the biscuits I used Jiffy baking mix and portion it out as directed on the box for 14-15 biscuits. No mess nor fuss and perfect for the meal.

Hot Drop Biscuits
  • Baking Mix (2 Cups)
  • Milk (2/3 Cup) 
* Combine the ingredients to form a soft dough. With an ice cream scooper, scoop and drop the biscuits into a preheated deep fryer allowing to turn golden brown and until done. They will need to be flipped while in the oil and then drained once they are done. 



Cabbage & Collards
Cooking Time: 10-15 Minutes 
Saute Temp: High
  • Collard Green (2- 3 lbs) 
  • Cabbage (1 Head) 
  • Sweet Onion (1 Each)
  • Garlic (2 Tbs)
  • Chicken Stock (2 Cups) 
  • Olive Oil (3 Tbs) 
  • Salt & Pepper (TT) 
  • Apple Cider Vinegar (1 Tbs) 
*  Cut the greens and the cabbage into strips and julienne the onions. Add the onions to a heated skillet before adding the minced garlic and allowing to brown. Add the collard greens and the cabbage lightly season with S & P and cook for 10 minutes allowing the mixture to wilt slightly. Add the chicken stock to the mixture and then cover and reduce the heat allowing to simmer for 5 minutes or until the liquid is gone. Uncover, taste and then adjust the seasoning to your liking. Add 1 Tbs of apple cider vinegar to finish by stirring.


Loaded Smashed Potatoes
Cooking Time 35 Minutes

  • Yukon Gold Potatoes (7-8 Medium Potatoes) 
  • Heavy Cream (1 Cup) 
  • Dijon Mustard (2 Tbs) 
  • Butter (3 Tbs) 
  • Bacon (3 Pieces) Chopped and rendered (cooked to crispiness)
  • Green Onions (2 Stalks) Chopped or diced
  • Cheddar Cheese (2 Cups) Shredded
Wash the potatoes and place in cold water before bring the pot to a boil. Cook until the potatoes are soft and mash-able (about 20 minutes). In a small sauce pot mix the butter, mustard and heavy cream and allow to heat and combine. Once the potatoes are done smash with masher or fork and fold the heated cream mixture into (be sure not to over stir or your potatoes will become gummy) add salt and pepper to taste. When plating scoop the potatoes into a small bowl and add the cheese on top before placing in an over to broil for about 1 minutes (allowing the cheese to melt). Add the chopped bacon and green onions as seen below.

No comments:

Post a Comment