80's Music

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Passion is… Mussels in Creamy Tomato Garlic Sauce with Charred Baguette.

Today a passion was re-awakened in me, that being the passion that I have to cook. You see for the last month and a half I've been working on a new passion, that being the passion that I have found for writing and storytelling.

When I woke up, I did as I normally do and turned on the TV and began channel surfing when I came across and old favorite of mine, Chocolat. This is a movie about passion, acceptance and renewal, at least to me it is. While I won't bore you with the details I'd definitely recommend it to anyone, especially those that need a re-awakening.

Mussels are about as versatile as any seafood out there. Be they steamed and chilled with little more than salt or sautéed and smothered in sauce; they are a favorite and a crowd pleaser. The application I chose today, with tomatoes, basil, garlic and cream sauce is by far one of the most delicious ways to eat them and when paired with charred bread it adds a smokey element to this dish that is sure to please you and everyone that tries them.

True story: I made a dish similar to this in Afghanistan less than a year ago. When I put the bread out of course most that saw it said; "Don't you have any bread that ain't burnt?" I remained poised and explained that the charred (not burnt) bread was done so on purpose and should be dipped in the broth to add a smokey element to this dish that tends to give it that extra kick to take this dish to the next level. The moral to the story is: Be bold in your beliefs and ready to explain, with confidence why you are doing what it is that you hold a passion for. Trust me, there are some that won't see the bread as anything other than burnt, forget them. No really, forget them, are they your target audience? Do what it is that pleases you, just be ready with the regular bread in case they really want the norm and you will be fine.

Oh yeah, about that writing thing, I'm happy to say that I completed my first novel in 20 days and finished editing in 10 days and now am shopping it around to find an agent and publisher. I'll be sure to let you know what happens next…


On the Menu today: Mussels in Creamy Tomato Garlic Sauce with Charred Baguette.

Mussels In Cream Tomato Garlic Sauce With Charred Baguette


Mussels In Tomato-Garlic Cream Sauce
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
Stove Temp: High then Simmer. 


Ingredients: 1-2 Lbs Mussels, 1/2 Can Diced Tomatoes, 1 Tsp Garlic,
2 Tbs White Wine 1 Cup Heavy Cream, 2 Shallots, 1 Bunch Basil,
1/2 Baguette.  *Optional (1 Tbs Chili Flakes) 2 Tbs Olive Oil
Process: Clean mussels by placing them in cold water and adding salt,
pick them up individually and pull the beard from the shell.  
Process: Julienne the shallots and dice the garlic then add 1/2 Tbs to a
along with 1/2 Tbs of olive oil heated pan to brown. 
Process: Deglaze pan with wine and reduce by half before adding
cream to the same pan and cooking down to half.
Then set aside for later use.
Process: Add Tomatoes and Basil to a heated pan and cook for
5 minutes. Set aside for later use. 
Process: Add 1 Tbs of Olive oil to a hot pan before adding the
Mussels and seasoning liberally with salt and *Chili flakes.
Toss in the Tomato mixture and cream mixture to coat.
Plate by adding to a deep bowl or plate. 
Charred Baguette Process: Char the bread over an open flame
by holding it with tongs until burnt. If using electric
simply place on a heated coil with the tongs
and remove once done. Do Not Leave
Unattended….
Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and enjoy...

2 comments:

  1. Hi there! This is Piga from Notions & Notations of a Novice Cook and I'd love for you to guest post on the blog. It will be a twice a week thing, with different bloggers taking turns to post. You can send the post contents to my email at pmmsony@gmail.com whenever you're ready and I'll put it up on the blog. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete