80's Music

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

The 100% Relationship Rule.... Friday Stromboli....






It's Friday, midday and you're thinking of what the rest of the evening will look like for you. Happy hour? Quick date? Maybe just a date with your bed, by yourself of course, after all this is NOT a gentleman's magazine. While some would go for spending untold amounts of cash in the new trendy spot just to be seen. I would much rather do something quiet, less expensive, more intimate and much more memorable like invite a friend over for drinks and a fun and easy to make meal.

While both Steak & Fish are excellent choices, I would opt to go with something fun, remembering it's a Friday night so I'm thinking pizza, no I think Stromboli would be a sexier and more unexpected choice. 

I am certainly not an expert on relationships as I have had more than my share of pitfalls in that arena. One of the things that I have come to realize is that relationships be they friendships or those of a romantic nature require 100%. Ahhheemmn (clearing my throat to drop the math)! 

1st let's agree that complete or whole is 100% and then we can go from there. Having agreed with that notion let's take it a step farther and further more agree that no two people give the same percentage at the same time. Allow me to bloviate. Upon meeting a person there are clear lines drawn as to who is the aggressor and who is playing it coy , which is not only fine but probably necessary.  In romantic relationships this period would be referred to as the "courting" period, I call it the period in which someone (normally the guy) is pouring upwards of 60 to 70% of "fuel" into the "tank" of interest. While the other person does their part to give the remaining 40 to 30% that is required to reach the agreed upon 100%. 

In my younger and less experienced days I used to think that 100% required that much from both willing parties in order to have relationship success. What I found is that 200% means that both of us are separating ourselves not only from the rest of the world, but from the appropriate balance that we needed in order mature in other areas such as work, school and our own separate personal interests or those things that made us unique and attracted to each other in the first place. 

Now here's the trick about the 100% rule: it requires 100% at all times, no excuses. It also requires that when circumstances dictate for a change in roles, that your partner is willing to give their part in your place. In other words when life overwhelms that 60% giver the 40% giver has to be willing to give 60 to your 40.  In most situations that I am familiar with, when the dominant giver (aka sucker) somehow stops being able to give the 80% that they are used to the passive giver (aka taker) tends to give even less than the 20% that they were known for. I get it though, feelings of "change in the air" can cause most to head for the hills. I can tell you that I have had plenty of friends complaining about the change in their significant others and the first question that I ask is "are you doing to part to make up for their shortcomings?" and while plenty have said yes I secretly wonder how many of us really do try to make up for what's lacking once the balance of power has changed hands? But imagine if you just stick the tough times out, imagine further that instead of cowering in the wake of the power shift that you actually gave more than your usual amount.  I guess the truth is in us all but it does require that we are honest with ourselves in order to grow and have healthy and nurturing relationships. As for me I try to take stock in all of my relationships and hold myself accountable when I fall short but understanding when others fall short. After all the only heart I know is my own so it is impossible for me to know what motivates someone else. I can only hope that they have my best interest in play as it comes to our relationship.


On the menu today: Friday Stromboli.........





For the Stromboli we will need the following:

  • Pizza Dough (pre-made Whole Foods) (1 each)
  • Flour (1/4 cup)
  • Pepperoni (6 oz)
  • Italian Sausage (4 oz)
  • Olive Oil (1 Tbs)
  • Sliced Mushrooms (2 oz)
  • Julienned Onions (1/2 cup)
  • Minced Garlic (1 Tbs)
  • Tomato Sauce (1 cup)
  • Oregano (3 sprigs)
  • Basil (1/4 bunch)
  • Mozzarella Cheese (8 oz)



Start off by leaving the pizza out at room temperature for 30 minutes and preheating the oven to 425. Next cook the mushrooms and onions in the olive oil and then add the sausage allow it to cook thoroughly. Add the oregano and some of the basil and finally the tomato sauce. Set the mixture aside for later use. Prepare the dough by placing flour on the table first and then placing the dough down and flattening with a rolling pin, bottle or by hand. Continue to flatten until it look similar to the picture below.  Next, add the ingredients that were set aside and wrap the dough around the ingredients, tucking it in at the bottom. Cut slits in the top as seen below and place on a cookie sheet and in the oven for 12 - 15 minutes. 











No comments:

Post a Comment