80's Music

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

9th October Back In The Day..... Open Face Turkey Sandwich w/ Pan Gravy

Open Face Turkey With Pan Gravy & Cranberry Sauce

Do you ever find yourself traveling back in time to one of your favorite things? Maybe it's a year, or a situation? It might even be a place or maybe even a mixture of all of thing things mentioned before. Well, I find myself going back in times on journey to my Jr High School cafeteria, not that all of the food was good but there were one or two items that I would look out for once a week. One was the Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup and the other was the Open Face Turkey Sandwich.

The Open Face Turkey Sandwich was far and away the best thing going in the cafeteria. I would actually get in line twice just to get my fill of this stuff and in Jr High I was a Pip Squeak of about 5'5" and weighing in at a whopping 135 lbs. I also had huge hands and wore a size 12 shoe at that age so I was teased constantly..


Old School Cool.....

On the menu today: Open Face Turkey Sandwich with Rice, Pan Gravy, Cranberry Sauce & Roasted Squash.


Not unlike most of you I was teased quite a bit throughout my early years but then again weren't we all? I remember looking at the "cool" kids and wishing that I was one of them. What's even funnier is the fact that as I have grown and still know some of these "cool" kids, they actually thought I was one of them the whole time! Perception can be so funny and even more so eye opening.

Make the rice in accordance with the instructions on the box. Substitute chicken stock for the water to add flavor.


Rice 



For the roasted Veggies we will need:


  • Squash (2 each)
  • Zucchini (3 each)
  • Olive Oil (2 Tbs)
  • Garlic (2 cloves)

Slice the garlic, zucchini & squash and add olive oil roast in an oven preheated to 325 degrees for 35 minutes and add salt & pepper before serving. 


Roasted Zucchini & Squash W/ Garlic 


To make the pan gravy we will need the following:

  • Chicken or Turkey Stock (16 oz)
  • Flour (1 cup)
  • Butter (1 stick)
  • Thyme (2 stems)
  • Oregano (1 stem)
  • Onions (1 each)
  • Garlic (2 cloves

Place the olive oil in the pan and place the julienne onions and sliced garlic in a heated skillet to brown. Add the butter and then the flour to make a paste (roux), take two spoon full out and reserve for later. Add the chicken stock in and allow the gravy to thicken to your desire. (you may need to add a bit of the reserved roux to thicken to your choosing. 


Pan Gravy 


To make the Open Face Turkey we will need:


  • Turkey Meat (2 slices per Bread)
  • Bread (1 per sandwich)
  • Cranberry Sauce (1 can)

Place the turkey on a slice of bread and place it in an oven preheated to 350 for 5-7 minutes. Take out and place the rice, and gravy directly on top of the sandwich. Add the veggies and cranberry sauce and enjoy...




Old School Cool 


No comments:

Post a Comment