80's Music

Friday, August 3, 2012

Don't You Dare Just throw That Away... Leftover Makeover... Paccheri Rigati with Shrimp


Creamy Paccheri Rigati With Shrimp & Basil


How many food items have you thrown out before you are aware of their true value? My guess is quite a bit, I know that I have that issue even as a chef. Sometimes I make too much pasta and think to myself, I'll never eat this so to the trash it goes. 

Realistically there will always be waste, it comes with the territory in most kitchens but there are ways to minimize waste. What I have started doing is placing leftovers in a specific place in my refrigerator to make them more of a forethought than an afterthought. I also make it a point to get creative with those items at least twice a week. So far it's worked like a charm, all you need to do is get creative and try it out.


On the menu today: Creamy Paccheri, Shrimp & Basil with a Cucumber and Tomato Salad.




One of the most beneficial things about leftovers is that they are already cooked so creating a dish should be quick, easy and more importantly ready in less than 25 minutes. It's also a great way to conserve money for other things.



For this menu we will need the following:

  • Paccheri (2 cups)
  • Tomatoes (3 ea)
  • Garlic (1 tsp)
  • Basil (.5 bunch)
  • Heavy Cream (1 cup)
  • Shrimp (.5 #)
  • Cucumbers (.5 ea)
  • Balsamic Vinegar (1 tsp)
  • Olive Oil (2 Tbs)
  • Salt (t t)


Creamy Goodness



Take the pasta and cook it by following the directions on the package, once done drain it and allow it to cool then cut into strips (see picture below). In a sauce pot sauté the minced garlic and add the diced tomatoes,  half of the basil and the shrimp , sautéing for about 3-5 minutes then set aside. Put the heavy cream in the sauce pot and allow to reduce to half then add the shrimp, garlic, tomato and basil mixture. Finally add the pasta and stir to incorporate. Add a simple tomato and cucumber salad and drizzle the olive oil and balsamic vinegar as the dressing. I added a Caprese Salad to the page, simple add slice fresh Mozzarella and Basil leaves as seen below, use the same dressing as the cucumber salad listed above. 



Leftover Makeover 


W/ Salad 

Caprese Salad w/ Cucumbers 
Caprese Salad


5 comments:

  1. I like the idea of having leftovers in a obvious area. Any suggestions for meat leftovers like grilled chops, or grilled chicken? I throw out way too much food.

    Thanks,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Van, of course I do. I would suggest the chicken be added to a pasta dish similar to this. With the chop - I assume pork I would cut it and add it ti a pork fried rice. Hit me and I'll send you the recipe for it if you would like. I'll have fried rice coming up soon..... Thank you for your comment and question

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your interpretation of the Caprese Salad! Brilliant.

    The way I make mine for a party or client event, is a Skewered Caprese Salad. Presentation is beautiful, plus it's practical for people to eat while mingling.

    You need to come back to the Bay Area so we can cook together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyn, I love the skewered idea and will check it out. I'll be back in the Bay Area soon and I will make it a priority to see you so that we can share some awesome dishes. Miss you much............

      Delete
  4. Awesome! I look forward to seeing you, and cooking with you!

    ReplyDelete