80's Music

Thursday, April 9, 2015

Simplicity Perfected... Grilled Sardines With Wilted Savoy...


With the weather starting to warm up now in DC, I think perhaps it's grilling season again. Funny thing is, in my house it grilling season any time of the year. Figuring that I'd start out light this spring, I'm going with Sardines and finishing with Clams Baltimore style.

Clams A la Baltimore
On the menu today: Grilled Sardines




Sardines, as you all know, are normally canned, but despite that fact, delicious. What if I told you that they are so much better when freshly grilled? They don't need much seasoning or prep, I'm happiest when they are simply grilled with a bit of lemon juice, olive oil and salt & pepper. Seriously they can't be beat.

Grilled Sardines Ingredients

  • Cleaned Sardines (2-3 pp)
  • Garlic (1 Tbs)
  • Olive Oil (2 Tbs) 
  • Lemon Juice (3 Tbs)
  • Capers (2 Tbs) 
  • Lemon Zest (TT)
  • Savoy Cabbage (1 head)
  • Salt & Pepper (TT) 
Marinating
Directions

Take the cleaned sardines and marinate them in the minced garlic, capers, olive oil and lemon juice. Allow to sit for 20 minutes. Grill and cover for 3-5 minutes or until done. Cut the savoy cabbage into ribbons and place on the plate with a drizzle of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Place the grilled Sardines on top of the cabbage (this wilts them) and garnish with lemon zest, olive oil and a dash of salt.

Grilled Sardines
Plated with Roasted Fingerlings



Bonus On The Menu Today: Clams on the half shell Baltimore style...

A couple of years ago, I headed to Baltimore with my sister and stopped by the market to have some clams. It was a hot day so nothing could have been better or more appropriate than the brininess of raw clams and an ice cold brew to wash it down. That's what I thought at the time. As we ate and look around, we couldn't help but notice the fact that these strange ass Baltimoreans were eating slices of boiled eggs on top of their raw clams. We asked the bartender what the hell the deal was and he said better you find out for yourself, handed us a few slices of hard boiled egg and set it on top of a freshly shucked calm along with a dollop of cocktail sauce. What came next was one of the most unexpected treats that I have ever had. Not being one to keep shit to myself, I've shared this recipe with everyone that I have clams with. Trust me it's delicious.  

Cocktail Sauce Ingredients 
  • Ketchup (2 cups)
  • Horseradish (3 Tbs)
  • Worcestershire Sauce (2 Tbs) 
  • Lemon Juice (1 Tbs)
  • Old Bay (1 tsp)
  • Dill Weed (2 tsp)
  • Tabasco Sauce (1 Tbs) 

Directions
Add all ingredients together and stir.
Clams 
Simply shucked and a sliced, warm hard boiled egg.

Garnished with Lemon Zest



Ready to eat

1 comment:

  1. I don't even like clams, but I would definitely try these!

    ReplyDelete