80's Music

Friday, April 25, 2014

Cocktail Hour : Royal Sips & Cold Shoulders... Whiskey & Scotch

Prep  Time : 5 Minutes

Vanilla-Lime Infused Royal Sip 
I can't imagine a Friday without a cocktail in hand before 5 pm and by my estimation it's 5 pm somewhere in the world every hour right? This post is a homage not only to the cocktail hour but to two of my favorites, Scotch & Whiskey.

Scotch
Canadian Whiskey 
I discovered Monkey Shoulder Scotch when I was in Dubai and on my way back to Kabul. I was drawn to the bottle and the price point was in my wheel house at $35.00 for a 1 litre bottle. When I got back to Kabul I opened it and my love affair has been ongoing since that day. In the U.S. you might have to ask your liquor store owner to get it in (I did this in Capitol Hill, Wash. D.C.) but trust me it will be well worth it. Some people have issues with both Whiskey and Scotch as they can be harsh and burn as going down but one way to remedy the harshness is by adding a simple syrup. I suggest that you try the drink straight 1st to see what notes are present such as vanilla for Scotch, Whiskey or Bourbon add that to a simple syrup as a base and then get creative by adding something that will contrast or compliment it such as lime juice.


On the Menu Today: Cocktail Hour : Royal Sips & Cold Shoulders....


Cold Shoulder & Royal Sip 
The Cast 
Support Staff
High Ball Glass With 2 inch Lime Ice 
Vanilla Sugar 
Simple Syrup Recipe: Take 2 Cups of Sugar and 1 strand of Vanilla Bean
 split in half, 1 cup of water and 2 Tbs of fresh squeezed
lime juice and 2 slices of lime, cooking
until incorporated. 
Lg Cube Ice Trays can be purchased @ Bed, Bath & Beyond
Williams & Sonoma or like stores. 
 Royal on the Zested Rock Recipe: Place a "Zested" ice cube in a high
ball glass and cover it with Crown Royal as seen below. 

Royal Vanilla -Lime Sip Recipe: 2 Parts Crown Royal, 1/2 Part Vanilla
Lime Simple Syrup, Lime Zest for garnish. Shaken with ice
poured into a Martini glass. 
Cold Shoulder on Herbed Rock with Vanilla Lime Syrup Recipe:
2 Parts Monkey Shoulder, 1/4 part Vanilla Lime Syrup,
1 cube of herbed ice. Garnish with lime
and 1 inch strip of vanilla. 
Grand Vanilla Cold Shoulder Components 
Recipe: 2-3 parts Monkey Shoulder, 1 part Lemon Drop Syrup,
1 part Grand Marnier, 1/2 part Vanilla, Lime Simple Syrup
and place in shaker with ice. Pour into a Vanilla
Sugar Rimmed Martini Glass. Garnish
with a lime slice. 
Royal On The Rocks 
Royal Vanilla-Lime Sip
Cold Shoulder with Vanilla- Lime Syrup on The Rocks
Grand Vanilla Cold Shoulder
To make the sugar rim
wet the edges with
a lime and dip
into sugar. 

* All of these drinks go well with the Asian Wrap Recipe and great conversation.......

2 comments:

  1. I love a good scotch and an even better whiskey... and even more than that, a good drink made with both!! Can't wait to try them both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you THorner. Let me know how they turn out.

    ReplyDelete