80's Music

Friday, January 4, 2013

Dance Like Nobody's Watching.......Spice Roasted Mackerel, Herbed Rice, Heirloom Salad & Warm Tomato-Olive Ragout.

Spice-Roasted Mackerel 


I look down at the thermometer in the car. Damn, it's 102 degrees outside and the A.C. is on the fritz so it's about 120 in my ride.  I've just gotten off from a long and frustrating day at work and here I am in a bucket, stuck in traffic on 580 headed home so that I can shake off the day. "Man, I love MF Doom but he's just not cutting it today!", I say to myself.  The graveyard of cars in front of and behind me makes me fully aware that it might be an hour before I make it to the next 10 feet. I glance into the car of my neighbor in frustration (the dime-peice stuck in traffic in the lane next to me.), "Damn, she looks familiar as hell to me!", I think almost out loud.  She glances back and gives a quizzical smile. "I got it, Esperanza Spalding! I think I have her CD on shuffle, I think to myself.  Isn't she playing at Yoshi's in Oakland tonight? Wait a minute, is that her I just saw? Blaring in the background,"This songs' the one!" I bob my head to the music and then it happens. Esperanza gets out in traffic and starts to sing along with the CD I'm playing. Car by car like the flu on a plane, the infection starts to spread, it seems like the entire highway has become a dancehall for me and all of my "situational" friends. Man I can't believe this feeling.........

This is a recurring fantasy that I have at least once a month and one day I am sure that it will happen, unrehearsed and quite organic but until that time I can dream!

Radio Song - Esperanza Spalding

The other day I got some news that I was not too pleased about, as a matter of fact I can say that I was ready to "kill the messenger" so to speak! I came home and decided to take a bath to unwind and think and in the process watch the Radio Song video, which got me to thinking about the priorities in my life.  I had a clear vision for what I wanted to do and somehow due to things, I have been off track. This was just the push I needed to get me back in tune with my calling. If I have said it once, I've said it a million times, Be inspired by everything!!!!! Man Am I inspired once again. Some folks renew their marriage vows, I continue to renew my life mission vows.

At the end of the day, it's the quiet moments that afford me the time to dream, the dream feeds the urge to be creative, the creativity gives me the confidence to move forward and finally the confidence puts my butt in action!!!!


Mackerel 


On the Menu today: Spice Roasted Mackerel, Herbed Rice, Heirloom Salad & Warm Tomato-Olive Ragout.




For this meal we will need the following:

  • Mackerel (4 lbs feeds 3-4)
  • Garlic (6 cloves)
  • Olive Oil (1 Tbs)
  • Chili Pepper Flakes (2 Tbs)
  • Kumquat (15 each)
  • Fresh Herbs (Oregano, Thyme, Tarragon)
  • Fennel Bulb (1 each)
  • Aluminum Foil (Enough to encase the fish)

Spice Roasted Mackerel 
Have your local fish monger scale and gut the fish then stuff the fish with the garlic, fennel bulb, sliced Kumquats  and herbs. Brush the fish with olive oil then add the salt pepper and chili flakes. Now wrap the fish completely in aluminum foil and place in an oven preheated to 425 degrees for 20-40 minutes depending on the size of the fish. Once done peel off the aluminum foil and serve on a platter. Garnish with a fresh salad and sliced kumquats (as seen below).






For the Warm Tomato & Olive Ragout we need the following:

  • Roma Tomatoes (12 each)
  • Fennel Bulb (1 each)
  • Assorted and Pitted Olives (10 of each)
  • Garlic (3 bulbs)
  • Kumquats (10 each)
  • Tarragon (1 bunch)
  • Olive Oil (1 Tbs)
  • Salt & Pepper (T T)


Oil the bottom of a cast iron skillet or saute pan then slice the tomatoes, julienne the fennel bulb and cut the olives and kumquats into 1/4 length-wise. Place in the pan by adding the 3/4 of the tomatoes in a shingled fashion then layering with olives, kumquat, julienned fennel and garlic. Repeat until the pan is full before adding the tarragon leaves and seasoning with salt & pepper. Place in an oven preheated to 350 for 45 minutes. Once done sprinkle with olive oil serve.



Warm Olive-Tomato Ragout 

Close-Up 

Moist 



No comments:

Post a Comment