80's Music

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

An Ode To The Impromptu. A Frittata Brunch.......

Frittata w/ Tarragon, Onions, Sun Dried Tomatoes, Cheddar & Pancetta



The best surprises in life are often unplanned. When I got my start cooking professionally I was working as a social worker for a group home in DC. I decided to have a surprise birthday dinner for my then roommate Jason. I had always cooked so it was no big deal for me to do so for a bunch of our friends and I thought it would be a nice touch to have a plated dinner. The menu called for fresh shucked oysters with mignonette as a starter, with grilled sirloin, grilled salmon, truffled potatoes ,roasted vegetables as the main course choice and tequila lime ice cream with caramelized bananas as the dessert. Again no big deal, except I was going to make the main courses to order at my house for 20-25 people. My dear friend Tara found out about my plan, made beautiful menus for the event and helped me to decorate my place. Tara has always been good about decorating and hosting parties, picnics and gatherings with a Martha Stewart type flair so the it was if we were in a 5 star restaurant. As the story progresses another friend of mine, Shelby took one of the menus for the event and gave it to the Executive Chef at The Motion Picture Association, who upon finding out that I wasn't a chef asked to meet with me. It was upon this chance set of circumstances that I started cooking then and am blogging now. You really never know the path that life has for you no matter what you plan or are prepared for. 


On the menu today:

Frittata with Onions, Pancetta, Sun Dried Tomatoes & Tarragon



For this menu we will need the following:
  • Eggs (5-6 ea)
  • Heavy Cream (1/2 cup)
  • Pancetta (1/4 cup)
  • Onions (1/4 cup)
  • Tarragon (3 stems)
  • Sun Dried Tomatoes (1/8 cup)
  • Salt (tt)
  • Garlic (1 tsp)
  • Watermelon
  • Cucumbers

Some of my best times have been when I decided to go left as opposed to the right that leads me down the oh so familiar path. This can be a metaphor for anything which of course includes food. I am inclined to have bacon and eggs for breakfast or lunch due to the simplicity of preparation, but truth be told, there are many other dishes that can be prepared with more ease and flair.

The other day I was in the house just relaxing and before I realized it, the hunger bug hit me in a great way. I think I was up for about 7 hours and hadn't eaten a thing and was starving. I looked in the refrigerator and there they sat bacon and eggs, almost as if they were calling me to make that oh so familiar right. I instead took a look around and decided to do something different and exciting. With the hunger fit I was having it would have to be something simple in preparation and quick from prep to plate. It was then that I decided a frittata was the cure all.

Frittatas are quite simple in prep and easy to cook, it's simply a matter of choosing your ingredients, chopping them, combining those things in a mixture of eggs and cream and placing that mixture in and oven for less than 15 minutes. Heavenly goodness that will certainly be appreciated for it's looks and more importantly for its' taste.

* If you are not a lacto-vegetarian  simply omit the pancetta, and for meat eaters another alternative to pancetta is italian sausage (be sure to cook the sausage first and then cut into the portions of your choice).



Ready for the Oven 




Dice the onions and the pancetta and place in a heated skillet allowing both to brown slightly. Remove the pan from the stove top allowing it ti cool.  Mix the eggs and cream in a bowl and add the diced sun dried tomatoes then add salt before adding to the cooled down pan with the onions and pancetta. place the tarragon leaves in the pan and stir once more to incorporate before placing in an oven preheated to 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until cooked thoroughly (check by placing a fork or toothpick in and making sure that it comes out clean). Once the mixture is firm turn your oven to the broil setting to allow  the top to brown slightly. 




Crust











Slice your cucumbers and watermelon and plate as you wish (an example is below).



Watermelon & Cucumbers


Frittata W/ Cucumbers & Watermelon


6 comments:

  1. looks delicious. I may try this weekend I am loving your play list!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nic,

      You know that's for you and your girl. Let me know how the Frittata turns out once it is done!!!!!! Thank you for the compliment and support.

      Delete
  2. Your dishes are lovely. They look scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shalanna, I appreciate your kind words and support. For all of my followers that read this please go to the blog below if you get a chance. It's well written and extremely relevant for most!!!!!!

      http://www.amillionthingsivelearned.com/

      Delete
  3. Very nice Mark!! Hope you are doing well. ~Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey T-racey, I'm doing well. How's NYC, I hope it's going well for you and pray that we will connect one day soon. Thank you for the compliment, it really means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete