80's Music

Friday, April 20, 2012

What's For Breakfast This Weekend? Soul In The Hole......


"Soul In The Hole"
       

Breakfast, simply stated, is the most important meal of the day or at least that's what the experts say.  I know that the times that I start my day off with that mantra are by far my most productive.  There are so many choices though.  Where does one start?  Let's see, do I choose cereal, a quick breakfast pastry or go all out and have waffles with all of the trimmings?  If you are anything like me, that is a reoccurring scenario.  While I love pancakes and waffles, my old friend, "Syrup" makes me want to crawl right back in the bed and sleep the day away.  Not good I know, but oh so true.

On the menu this morning: Eggs in the Hole, Applewood Smoked Bacon with Blueberry Ginger Compote.

For this we will need the following items:

  • Bread (1-2 slices per person)
  • Whole Eggs (1 per slice of toast)
  • Applewood Smoked Bacon (2-3 slices per person)
  • Fresh Blueberries (2 cups)
  • Orange Juice (1/4 cup)
  • Sugar (3/4 cup)
  • Fresh Mint (10 leaves)
  • Fresh Ginger (1/2 inch) 
  • Cornstarch (2 Tbs)
  • Water (3-4 Tbs)
  • Fresh Parsley (1 pinch)
  • Grape Seed Oil (2 tsp)


The other day I was fortunate enough to see a sneak preview of the movie, "Think like a Man." it's based on the reaction of a group of friends reading and using the popular book, "Think like a Man, Act like a Woman" by comedian, radio show host, actor and now author, Mr. Steve Harvey.  The movie was quite entertaining and a definite must see.  I went with a few of my lifetime friends, and one happens to be Urban Film Premiere founder, Shelby Jones, so I attached a link to his website for you to get his professional opinion and other items. Ladies he's the guy with the dreadlocks shaking Common's hand and a real stand up guy. (At least that's what he's paying me to say LOL.)  I also linked his interview of Michael Ealy, the actor who plays Dominic in the movie.




As I have written before I am inspired by everything and in this case it was "Think like a Man". 
The character Dominic is a chef who is on the rise, at least in his mind and..... But I digress and this is Shelby's area not mine.  In one scene he makes breakfast to impress a new love interest, which got me to thinking; why not make a dish that all lovers new and time tested use to spark, renew or confirm that the same "feeling" is alive and kicking?  On to the food.....

In a sauce pot add the blueberries, orange juice, mint and ginger (1/2 inch peeled chunk) and allow to simmer.  Add the sugar, allowing it to melt then add your slurry (mixture of cornstarch and water)a bit at a time to your desired thickness and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.

Take the bread and make the holes by using a glass (see attached picture). 

"Bread Cutter"

Keep The Circles for Toast

Cook bacon and allow to sit, add the bread to the pan to brown one side  and then add the holes browning both sides then remove  and set aside to add the grape seed oil. 


Toasting Rounds

Once the pan is properly heated, add the bread with the hole back in the pan, toasted side up.  Crack the egg and place in the hole (see attached picture) allowing the egg to cook, cover the pan to allow egg to continue cooking thoroughly.  Chop the parsley for garnishing your plate.

Place eggs in the hole to cook


Plate your breakfast and be sure to use a small bowl for the compote to dip your toasted rounds.  Take it  to your significant other and enjoy your breakfast and the rewards that are soon to follow.


Eggs In A Hole With Bacon & Blueberry Ginger Compote





4 comments:

  1. Breakfast looks yummy!...although my cooking of the eggs would be sacrilegious to most culinary professionals (I secretly hate runny yolks). Your baby sister not so gently "suggested" I make the liver and onions recipe you posted a few days ago. I think I might give it a try. It's time liver had a revival in my life! But right now my biggest delima is a whole duck I purchased two weeks ago that's sitting in my freezer, looking at me menacingly everytime I open the door. I don't know what to do with it! I bought it to challenge myself, but chicked out when I got it home. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have many suggestions and under the assumption that you are no butcher, fabricating the duck for seared duck breast is not an option. I suggest that you take the duck out of the freezer and allow it to thaw in the refrigerator for a couple of days and brine it. Use kosher salt (1/2 cup), sugar (1/4 cup), garlic cloves (20 crushed), thyme (2 bunches), black peppercorns (20 whole), sage (1 bunch), orange juice (1 pt), water (1/2 pint) and dried or fresh Bing Cherries (4 cups). Blend this mixture together and pour over the duck to allow it to brine in the refrigerator for 24 hours ( a turkey bag is good for this). If the tail hasn't been removed do so as it will reduce the amount of fat that will render during the cooking process. When it's done brining, place the duck in a deep roasting pan and place in a preheated oven @ 325 degrees. Cook it, breast down for 1.5 hrs and then flip the entire duck to continue cooking for 45 more minutes. Brown the duck by cooking at 450 until it is properly browned (do not leave the oven watch it until it's browned to your liking). Take orange juice (1 cup), dried cherries (1/2 cup), sugar (1/4 cup) and balsamic vinegar (1 tsp) place in a sauce pot to heat and make a glaze. Once the duck is out of the oven allow it to sit for 15 minutes. Be sure to keep the dripping (rendered duck fat) freeze it or use it to cook french fries in to go with your meal. Duck fat fries are good with anything.
    It seems difficult but in essence all you are doing is brining and roasting the duck, making a sauce and keeping the fat for later use. Any type of potato would go well with the duck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. another good looking dish. When are you taking request?

    ReplyDelete